Monday, June 6, 2011

GREAT SCOT!!



SCOTLAND

"Connectin with me roots, one country at a time."

So I decided to hit up Scotland over our 3 day break from our "classes" and I'm jolly glad I did! It was a 4 hour train ride from London, but the ride there went rather quickly being that I slept for a good portion of the time. We ended up getting into a hotel that was literally right next to the train station which was most convenient! And we still even had a great view from our room on the 5th floor of a really cool castle across the way.



This is Edinburgh Castle, just a 5 minute walk from our hotel, and this is the first place we went. We didn't actually go inside of it because of the cost, but we were able to snap a few cool pics from the outside so we were happy :)





Just a view of our surrounding area.


We decided to visit this weaving mill shop place, and they had an armory inside, pretty cool! We weren't allowed to take pictures of it however... even though I have this one, (he told me I couldn't take pictures after I'd already taken this one... whoops..)





Okay, so I was REALLY wanting to get some legit scottish food, and it turned out to be quite a difficult task to accomplish! We asked around and a few locals told us they really aren't big on the culinary scene. Apparently they eat a lot of indian food and kababs and things like that. I KNEW they were known for haggis, and I was determined to find some somewhere.... luckily, some of the girls wanted to go to this bakery to get shortbread or something, and inside the PieMaker they had "Haggis Pies"! :) I didn't hesitate to buy one and give it a try... pretty delish I must admit. Go Scotland.



For dinner we found the only restaurant around that offered "Original Scottish Food" which happened to be a bar/restaurant (we end up eating at quite a few of these).


Steph was pretty excited to be there...


The food was most delicious! Dani and Stacie split one of their burgers, which looked mouth watering.


This is my entree, I got a Steak & Ale Pie. It was very tasty! Not quite what I expected it to be, but it was basically a light and fluffy pastry served on top of a meaty ale gravy with cooked carrots and french fries. Yum :)



Mary got the fish & chips which she had long desired. Pure goodness.




Me and Mary trying on some scottish hats in a little shop :)


Riding the elevator... always a good time!


Cool castle





Steph and I had to ride back an hour earlier than the rest of the group so we could make it back to our show by 7:30.



After half off entrees at some bar/restaurant (we got bacon cheeseburgers, fries, and ceasar salads, they were divine!) We ran over to the New London Theatre to see War Horse! It wasn't your average musical "New York" broadway, but it was still excellent none-the-less! Great night!






1 comment:

  1. Ah so you can indeed go on dates while studying abroad! Ha! Looks fun Griff.

    ReplyDelete