Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Buuuuuuurthday!! :)


Yes, I was fortunate enough to spend my 23rd birthday in Paris, and we did celebrate Paris style :) We started the day off going to Fontainbleau, touring the grounds and the building of course. We were allowed to take pictures in this one, so that was a bonus.


There were a lot of really cool things in Fontainbleau, everything was decorated over the top of course. Below was a really cool long hall, and nobody in it!! It's almost impossible to get a picture of a long hall with nobody walking around in it, so I thought that was treat. Awesome architecture with the barrel vaulted ceiling all the way down, it really helps lead your eye through the space.


Like I said, every room was over the top. Just imagine that pretty much every room looked something like this in relation to wall ceiling and floor/furniture decoration. Pretty crazy!


Awesome ceiling. Every single house we've toured on this trip has had something really interesting on the ceiling. It seems like in our modern design today, especially as a student we can forget that all sides of the space are important to the feeling and design of the space.


This sorbet was highly recommended by our professor Darrin... except it wasn't the right sorbet... haha still tasty though :) We got Raspberry, Lemon, Mango, and Black Currant.


After we left Fontainbleau we went to the grocery story to quickly buy some food for a picnic that we would have at Vaux Le Vicomte. I split food with a few other students, we ended up spending about 5 euros each and we had PLENTY of food :) Below is a shot of the sandwich I made: baguette, salami, ham, cheddar cheese, lettuce, and a herb dressing. It was really good, better than I thought it would be for sure!



Darrin and Susie surprised me with a little happy birthday song and chocolate eclairs! So nice of them! They were most delicious! :)



After everyone stuffed themselves we headed up to the house, Vaux Le Vicomte.







I liked this house because it had a different approach to their display for visitors. The had created these ( I think wax) sculptures of people in the rooms and they had dialog for them playing. Some of them even had projections on their heads for their face so it looked like they were really talking, pretty neat!


And of course, we had to finish the night off with some fireworks in the back gardens :) It was a great time, I couldn't have asked for more on my birthday! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment